PFES Logo Patient & Family Education
Our Words.    Our Care.    Online.

Your hospital stay: For patients receiving treatment for head and neck cancer  
Abstract:  This section of the Guide to Your Head and Neck Cancer Treatment explains what will happen in the hospital after surgery, including information about the intensive care unit (ICU) and 4-Northeast, and descriptions of the various care providers, such as the surgeon, nurse practitioner, social worker, speech pathologist, respiratory therapist, dietitian, and physical and occupational therapists. Photos of previous patients are included, showing a tracheo-esophageal puncture (TEP) and an Electrolarynx in use for speech.
Author: Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery Center
Publisher/Date/Rev:  University of Washington Medical Center, 2007, June 1, 2007
UWMC Availability:  Otolaryngology/4NE; Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery Center; General Surgery/4NE; 4NE (Neuro-Neurosurg, Otolaryngology, General Surg)
General Topics:  Surgery; Hospital Stay; About UWMC
Specific Subject(s):  Trachea; Speech; Smoking Cessation; Pain; Laryngectomy; Laryngeal Cancer; Health Care Providers; Cancer
Language(s):  English
Audience:  Caregiver; Patient
Format: Manual
Reading Level: Moderate
Cost: Unknown
Web Site Location:

Health Online Citation #3433

To Order Copies:
Please reference Citation number listed above when ordering copies of this document.

UWMC-authored: Print document from this Web site, or contact authoring department for master. For multiple copies, contact UWMC Copy Services, 206-598-4019.

Non-UWMC authored: For photocopy or information, contact PFES, 206-598-7498; or contact the department listed in the "UWMC Availability" field above.

The health education materials accessed through this site are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your doctor or other health care provider with any questions you may have about a medical condition.
If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 9-1-1 immediately.